Wednesday 5 December 2007

FDMX Wired Wednesdays- Freelance survival

Was incredibly torn between staying at home and getting on with work (3 weeks of core-unit) or going to this presentation which looked brilliant. I definitely made the right choice by going and risking a lower quality portfolio for tomorrow. Of course this blog is also a great distraction from writing my long overdue 'critical evaluation' for the bloody research portfolio- but the afternoon session at the County Hall was great. Pretty lengthy (3 hours) but could've sat through more really. So many hints and tips, which may seem totally obvious, like 'pay your tax on time' and 'keep your receipts' but good advice on decisions made concerning being a sole trader or a company for instance. The very animated couple were from Urban Fox LTD www.urbanfox.tv very entertaining and totally informative. As soon as I got home I bought a few domain names pertinent to what I want to do in the future. This was one of the questions they asked us.."do you have a domain name" "No" they were quite flabbergasted with this collective news. Also they advised to always have an Apple Video ipod with your show reel on at all times as you never know who you may bump into- in fact they were like Apple pushers in a way, but I do see their point. I myself was a bit anti-Mac a while back, but now I am a convert. They are nice.

No comments: